Merriam Road Conservation Area
The Merriam Road Conversation Area is a well maintained parcel of land with extensive trails established. Trails lead through woodland and meadow environments.
Grafton voters approved (at 12:30 AM!) the preservation of this land at a special town meeting on September 23rd, 1987. Mary and Henry Coz of South Street had notified the Town that they planned on selling their land to a developer to construct 40 single family homes. However, because state law allows towns the opportunity of first option to buy any land under special tax status. In a 288-106 vote, the citizens voted to purchase the land for preservation.
The tract was used for farming from probably the 1700's until the late 1960's when active farming of the land ended. Since then, the land has been fallow and the human uses of the property has invovled passive recreation.